BeaverBuilder global subscribe module not updating ActiveCampaign tag settings

Fix Released by Beaver Builder

As of Beaver Builder version 2.0.6 released on March 7th, 2018, this issue is resolved.

BeaverBuilder lets you save layouts, rows, and modules as templates and global templates.  The difference between templates and global templates is that global lets you have one saved instance of your template and any future changes that you make to the global template is automatically applied to all the locations where you have used that template.

For example, you can have a saved global subscribe module.  If you use that global subscribe module on ten different pages on your website, any changes made to the global subscribe module will automatically be applied to all ten of the pages - you don't have to edit each of the ten pages.

So this brings up a problem that I found with the global subscribe module.  This specifically applies to the integration with ActiveCampaign (AC).  Maybe it applies to other integrations; maybe not.  I haven't done the testing on that.

With the AC integration there is a field added to the subscribe form for AC tags.  What I have noticed is that if you create an AC global module, add that module to several pages, and then update the tags in the global module, the tag updates are not applied to the locations where the modules are placed.

What's interesting is that other areas of the module (e.g. the text on the button) that are changed do get applied to the pages, but the content of the tags field do not get applied.

Here (to the right or below) is a subscription module that is saved global.  I created the module with a single tag conversation assigned to it and the text of Subscribe! on the button.

After saving the global, I went into the global module templates and edited the module.  I added the tag Test and changed the button text to Subscribe Test!

Dropping back into the subscribe module on the page, the button text was updated and now says Subscribe Test! but the tag field was not updated with the new tag value.

Tag Setup

Tag Setup

A single tag "Conversations" was added to the initial setup of the global module.

Button Text Setup

Button Text Setup

The button text was set to "Subscribe!"

Tag Setup

Tag Setup

The global module was edited in templates (not in the page where it is embedded) and the tag "Test" was added, and the button text was changed to "Subscribe Test!"

Tag Results After Edit

Tag Results After Edit

In the embedded global module, the tag field was not updated to the new tag field values.

Button Text After Edit

Button Text After Edit

The button text was updated and reflects the change to "Subscribe Test!"

So, how does this problem manifest itself?  First, I know it will be an issue if you utilize a global subscribe module, your connected service is ActiveCampaign, and you utilize tags.  It is possible, and very conceivable, that it will also manifest with other connected services and data fields, but I haven't investigated that as of this writing.

The real problem comes in when you have an embedded global module on a page, and then edit that module from the Builder > Saved Modules interface.  You assume that the changes will be applied to all embedded instances because you updated the global module.  But updating the global module only partially updates the module on the container pages leaving you with an unexpected result.

There is a semi-workaround, which is to go to the container page and reinsert the global module.  Of course, that presumes you know all the pages where the global module is used... which brings up another pet-peeve that I have:  there is no easy way to tell where a particular module is used, nor is there any way to tell on a container page which module is actually inserted.  

But that's for a different post...

Leave a Comment